Benefits While Traveling Abroad
The University of Notre Dame offers benefit-eligible faculty and staff and their dependents benefit coverage for unexpected injuries and illnesses that may occur while traveling internationally on University business.
Before you Depart
If you are traveling abroad, please review these materials at least 3 months prior to your departure.
- Out of network area for less than one semester: If you will be residing outside of the United States on University business for less than one semester, you will retain PPO or HMO coverage locally. Eligible expenses related to an Emergency Condition while you are traveling overseas will be covered, including when a Covered Person experiences severe cold or flu-like symptoms. More information.
- Out of network area for one semester or longer: If you will be residing outside of the United States on University business for a semester or longer, you will be eligible to enroll in the CIGNA Global Plan. You must notify the Office of Human Resources to switch your plan at least 31 days prior to departure. Once you return to the United States, you and your dependents will need to enroll in a different plan option within 31 days of your return.
The ND Wellness Center offers medical travel advice, recommended and required immunizations, preventative prescriptions, and health advisories based on destination.
Review the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) website at cdc.gov/travel including required immunizations for country-specific health information.
Health Advocate is a special benefit paid by the University of Notre Dame to help you and your entire family navigate the healthcare system and maximize your healthcare benefits. If you have health insurance coverage under a University of Notre Dame health plan, this resource is available to you while traveling abroad.
Notre Dame International
Please be sure to visit the Notre Dame International website prior to your departure. This site offers additional pre-departure and emergency information while traveling abroad.
Risk Management and Safety
Please be sure to visit the Risk Management and Safety website prior to your departure. This site offers additional pre-departure and emergency information while traveling abroad
During Your Travel Abroad
Meritain Claim Forms
- Meritain Health Claim Form (PDF)
- To receive your reimbursement for a claim filed with Meritain, please complete the Direct Deposit Authorization Form (PDF)
Should you have an emergency situation, you have people and resources available to support you and provide assistance.
- CIGNA Global Plan is a comprehensive insurance plan offered to faculty and staff who travel on University business for one semester or longer. This plan provides coverage for medical, prescription, dental, vision, evacuation and repatriation coverage.
- Health Advocate is a special benefit paid by the University of Notre Dame to help you and your entire family navigate the healthcare system and maximize your healthcare benefits. If you have health insurance coverage under a University of Notre Dame health plan, this resource is available to you.
- Travel Assistance provides services to all active U.S. employees covered under the group life insurance program and their spouses and dependents. The services are available 24/7/365 for emergency assistance, transport services, and pre-trip resources, when traveling 100 or more miles away from home, up to the first 90 days of travel.
Embassy or Consulate
If you are a U.S. citizen, consult the State Department website to identify the closest U.S. Embassy to your destination. We recommend U.S. Citizens enroll in the U.S. Government Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to register with the nearest U.S. embassy.
Upon Your Return
- Update Your Benefits: Travelers or dependents who made coverage changes prior to departure and wish to change or reinstate coverage elections upon return to the United States must do so within 31 days of return. It will be your responsibility to inform the Office of Human Resources upon your return in order to start that process.
- Tax Assistance Program: resources for tax related questions.
- How do I contact The Hartford?
- How do I complete the new online Employment Eligibility Verification (Form I-9) Process?
- How do I schedule a confidential one-on-one consultation with a Fidelity Planning and Guidance Consultant regarding my UND 403(b) Retirement Plan?
- How do I get a copy of my (Medical / Dental / Vision) ID card?
- What are the dates for paid holiday time in 2017?