New International Appointee Toolkit

A resource for new international faculty and staff, including Visiting Scholars and Research Visitors

* Welcome to the University
* Arrival Checklist and New Hire Paperwork
* Your Benefits
* New Hire Orientation
* Campus Resources
* Other Important and Useful Information
* Getting Settled
* Other Resources
* Practicing Your Faith
* Cross-Cultural Adjustment

Welcome to the University of Notre Dame

The Office of Human Resources welcomes you to the University of Notre Dame! We are pleased that you are now part of the Notre Dame community.

Our goal is to pave the way for your smooth entry and easy access to all that Notre Dame has to offer. To accomplish this, you will need to provide certain information upon your arrival. Return your completed forms to Human Resources . Please take a few moments to review the following requirements:

Arrival Checklist and New Hire Paperwork


Start by reviewing the Arrival Checklist. Print a copy for your reference to aid in completing each requirement on time. New Hire Paperwork is due to HR on or before your first day.

Complete Employment Eligibility Verification (Form I-9)

Within three business days of the start date of employment, your Employment Eligibility Verification (Form I-9) must be completed with the Office of Human Resources.

Verification is a two-step process: You may present unexpired documentation to verify your identity and employment authorization to the Office of Human Resources 200 Grace Hall, by appointment only. In order to make an appointment during our open hours of 8am until noon on Tuesday and Friday only, please email or call askHR at 574-631-5900.

More about the Employment Eligibility Verification (Form I-9) process.

Activate your NetID and password

Your NetID and password are required to access the University’s information technology systems. Your account should be created and available for activation on or prior to your first day of work. To confirm whether your account has been created and is available for activation, check the University Directory for your name.

Once your NetID account is created, you may activate it by first reading the Responsible Use Policy and taking a short quiz. You will then be able to obtain your NetID and set your new password by providing your birthdate and NDID number. Your NDID number is the 9-digit number on your Notre Dame ID card.

Your NetID must be activated within 6 months of hire.


Complete payroll information in insideND

InsideND is the University’s online community and self-service portal where employees may complete their federal and state withholding information, set up direct deposit, view pay stubs, and much more.

  • Log in to insideND. Visit and log in with your ND NetID and password.
  • Complete your direct deposit information. Complete your direct deposit enrollment with the “Direct Deposit” task on insideND. Direct Deposit Instructions (PDF).

Complete your tax withholding information in insideND

Complete your federal and state tax withholding information using the “Tax Withholding Elections” task on insideND.

  • State/County withholding (IN and MI residents): all University employees who will reside in Michigan or Indiana during employment must complete state withholding information through insideND, the University’s employee self-service website. State/County Withholding Instructions (PDF).
  • State/County withholding (residents of other states): University employees who both reside and work outside of Indiana or Michigan should contact Payroll Services at 574-631-7575 prior to submitting their state/county withholding elections.

If withholding information is not entered prior to the closing of a pay period, withholdings for that pay period will automatically be defaulted to the maximum withholding amount. You may update your withholdings at any time to be effective during the next possible pay period.

For additional assistance regarding tax withholding, please contact Payroll Services at 574-631-7575.

New Hire Paperwork (Optional)

Review health benefits and complete online enrollment (benefit-eligible appointments only)

All benefit-eligible employees must enroll in a University healthcare plan or provide proof of alternate coverage within 31 days of hire.

Benefit elections are effective January 1 through December 31 each year. Please review your benefit options and make your elections carefully – once coverage begins, changes in coverage can only be made during the annual Open Enrollment period (in Fall of each year) or when you experience a qualifying event such as marriage, birth of a child, or other qualifying event.

1. Review your benefits

Review the Benefits Summary Information webpage for links to comprehensive information to help you evaluate your options and make elections, including:

2. Complete online enrollment and verify eligible dependents

Enrollment is a two-step process:

  • Step 1. Log in to the secure site to elect your benefits or waive coverage. Access MyBenefits via the My Resources tab in insideND or visit MyBenefits and login with your University NetID and password. View the New Enrollment Guide to help you navigate MyBenefits (PDF).
  • Step 2. If enrolling dependents such as a spouse or child, you must present documentation to the Office of Human Resources to verify each dependent’s relationship within 31 days of hire. This step should be completed following successful completion of your online benefits elections. Please review the University’s dependent verification page for a list of acceptable documents.

Other University Benefits

  • Employee Benefits: information on University medical, dental, and vision insurance plans, and more.

Reminder to J-1 Visa holders:

J-1 regulations require that you and your dependents carry health insurance while you are in the United States.

Benefit-eligible employees with hire dates after the first of the month are responsible for their own coverage until University benefits begin the following month.

New Hire Orientation

The Office for Postdoctoral Affairs will notify Human Resources if it is necessary for you to attend New Hire Orientation. The Office of Human Resources, until further notice, will be conducting these sessions virtually. Look for an email from HR with details about your scheduled date and the Zoom invite. Note: this email will be sent to your University email account.

Visiting Faculty (or a department representative) should contact the askHR Customer Service Center at to request an onboarding date.

REMINDER: Return your completed forms to the Office of Human Resources, 200 Grace Hall on your first day at the University.

Campus Resources

Other Important and Useful Information

If you need additional assistance with completion of new hire forms, please contact askHR or 574-631-5900.

Getting Settled


Apartments & Condominiums

Name Information
Castle Point Apartments Contact Info:
Cleveland and Ironwood Road
South Bend, IN 46637
(574) 272-8110
Clover Ridge Contact Info:
1801 Irish Way
South Bend, IN 46637
(574) 272-1441
Clover Village Contact Info:
1710 Turtle Creek Drive
South Bend, IN 46637
(574) 272-8124
Irish Row Contact Info:
(574) 277-6666 for more details or to schedule an appointment
Ivy Quad Contact Info:
P.O. Box 337
Notre Dame, IN 46556-0338
(574) 607-4271
Notre Dame Apartments Contact Info:
832 North Notre Dame Avenue
South Bend, IN 46617
1-888-892-1368 (office)
Oak Hill Condominiums Contact Info:
1720 South Bend Avenue
South Bend, IN
46637 (574) 277-1997
Stadium Club Contact Info:
18127 Bulla Road
South Bend, IN 46637
(574) 243-7530

Or, try one of the many apartment-finding websites available, such as Craigslist or This article also offers many other apartment search options. (Note: none are affiliated with or endorsed by the University of Notre Dame.)


Name Information
Anderson Rentals Contact Info:
1224 E. Wayne North
South Bend, IN 46615
(574) 233-9947 or (574) 360-0884
Blue and Gold Contact Info:
P.O. Box 6462
South Bend, IN 46660
(574) 250-7653
Bumbaca Houses Contact Info:
1709 South Bend Ave.
South Bend, IN 46637
(574) 261-4965
Campus Housing at South Bend Contact Info:
832 North Notre Dame Avenue
South Bend, IN 46617
1-888-892-1368 (office)
Ivy Quad Contact Info:
P.O. Box 337
Notre Dame, IN 46556-0338
(574) 607-4271
Kramer Properties Contact Info:
812 E. LaSalle
South Bend, IN 46617
(574) 234-2436 (office)
Legacy Village Contact Info:
RWD Campus Developments
15W 621 81st Street
Burr Ridge, IL 60527
(630) 655-3223


Name Information
Campus Housing at South Bend Contact Info:
832 North Notre Dame Avenue
South Bend, IN 46617
1-888-892-1368 (office)
Dublin Village Contact Info:
CES Property Management
2043 South Bend Ave, #224
South Bend, IN 46637
574-968-0112 (office)
Irish Crossings Contact Info:
54690 Irish Crossings Ln.
South Bend, IN 46637
(574) 273-2000
Ivy Quad Contact Info:
P.O. Box 337
Notre Dame, IN 46556-0338
(574) 607-4271
Kramer Properties Contact Info:
812 E. LaSalle
South Bend, IN 46617
(574) 234-2436 (office)

Making Decisions About a Rental Unit

When discussing the details of a rental apartment or house with a landlord, be sure to ask specifically about your concerns, for example:

  • Are the costs for utilities (water, trash removal, heating, electricity) included ? What is the average cost of these utilities, in addition to rent?
  • Does the house/apartment have cable or satellite outlets for television?
  • Are pets allowed?
  • Where are the closest laundry facilities?
  • How is the house/apartment maintained?
  • Where is the closest grocery store?
  • How close is the house/apartment to public transportation?
  • May the house/apartment be redecorated? Pictures hung?
  • Establishing Utility Services

It may be that you will need to contact the utility companies yourself to arrange for service. By consulting the following Web sites, you will learn how to initiate the process.

Often a utility company will ask you for a Social Security Number in order to check your “credit history.” This is to determine whether you have a record of paying your bills on time. Since most new internationals do not have a credit history, you will probably be required to pay a deposit based on the average utility charges associated with the apartment or house you rent.

If the company insists that you give a Social Security Number (which you may not have), make it clear that you are new, do not have a credit history, and are willing to pay the deposit. You should also ask how you can go about making the deposit.

Gas Company: Northern Indiana Public Service – 800-464-7726
Many homes and apartments use gas for central heat, water heaters, dryers and stoves. You will need to have the service activated and may want assistance in lighting pilot lights on the furnace and other home appliances.

Electric Company: American Electric Power – 800-311-4634
Central heating, dryers and stoves may be wired for electric connections rather than for gas.

Water and Waste Disposal: South Bend Water Works – 219-235-9236
In addition to information regarding service, you can learn at the following site about the source and content of area drinking water along with how it is treated and distributed. Since the water is “hard” in this area, you may want to inquire about water softeners or look into water filters and bottled water delivery.

Trash removal begins at the time your water service is initiated and the fee will appear on your water bill. In addition, curbside recycling becomes available to you and this fee will also appear automatically on your bill. Some apartment complexes have their own arrangements for recycling, however. If you have large items to be removed, you may arrange with the city’s Environmental Services for pick-up.

Solid Waste Management – Recycling

Telephone Company: SBC Indiana- (800) 742-8771

  • Local Service:
    SBC Indiana provides basic telephone service with local access.
  • Long Distance and International:
    You will need to choose a long-distance service from among a list of providers, but you can be billed for this on the same invoice as your local service. If you call certain countries on a regular basis, you may qualify for special long-distance rates or programs. Some opt to use only calling cards to make all non-local calls.

Parking Your Car
If you plan to own a car, it is important to understand how and where you are allowed to park your car. Most apartment complexes will provide handbooks with such information, but if you will live in a house, consult your landlord about residential codes. Even if your house or apartment complex has a garage or car shelter you may not be able to park your car there without special permission or without an extra fee!

Car and License

For instructions on how to obtain a Driver’s License from the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV), please click here.

New residents to Indiana must obtain an Indiana State driver’s license within 60 days of moving to the state. Residents of a foreign country, however, may drive up to one year on an “out-of-country” license as long as it remains valid. You must also have an International Driver’s License which you must obtain in your own country (for more information about the International Driver’s License, please see this site).

Preparing for the written exam

You may apply for your Indiana driver’s license at any branch of the Bureau of Motor Vehicles. The license branch closest to campus is at 2544 Miracle Lane (in the “Town and Country” shopping plaza at the corner of Hickory and McKinley). In order to prepare for the written examination, you should study the Indiana Driver’s Manual which is available at the BMV or you may download the manual from the following site:

Identification Documents

You will need to present to the BMV documents that establish your identity, date of birth, and residency. A complete list of these documents is available through the BMV and online (see site below). International visitors must present their immigration documents, which should include your unexpired passport with your entrance visa and I-94 attached. A home country license is not acceptable as a form of identification.

A Note About Social Security Numbers

If you have a Social Security number (SSN), or if you are eligible to apply for one, you must present official proof of your number to the BMV once you have received your SSN card (as stated in the list of required documents). If, however, you are not eligible to receive a Social Security number, simply explain this to the Bureau of Motor Vehicles clerk. The Bureau will then use your immigration documents to verify your legal status as an international/U.S. visa holder.

Social Security Numbers For Noncitizens

Update (January 2007): A (local) Bureau of Motor Vehicles Update for International Visa Holders with Social Security Numbers (SSN)

You are not required to have a Social Security number in order to get an Indiana state driver’s license; however, if you already have Social Security number or are eligible to apply for one, please be aware of the following:

The Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles is currently using a system of verification which sometimes fails to determine whether an international visa holder has a valid (active) Social Security Number. This seems to be the case even in instances where an international visa holder presents an SSN card which was issued over a year ago.

Therefore, those of you who hold both an international visa and a Social Security Number card, and who plan to seek an Indiana state driver license or ID, are urged to go first to the Social Security Administration office and request a Social Security Number verification letter (or “short numi”, by which the SSA and BMV sometimes refer to it.) Take the SSN verification letter along with your other immigration and identification documents to the BMV when applying for a license or ID.

Assisting a Spouse with Identification Documents

For international student and scholar spouses who lack the number of documents required, you should go to the BMV with your spouse. Along with whatever identification documents you do possess, your spouse may present his/her own documents which establish that the two of you are married (marriage license, translated into English, if necessary) and reside at the same address. You will be asked to sign an affidavit attesting to this.

Learner’s Permit

If you successfully pass the written test and a vision screening, then you will eventually be issued a learner’s permit. The current policy for international applicants is that the local BMV send copies of your immigration documents to the central Indianapolis BMV office for review and verification. Within 60 days of your successful written exam, the BMV will either mail to you a learner’s permit, or a notice of denial based on the review of your immigration documents along with the procedure for making an appeal.

(You may operate a vehicle on your learner’s permit only when accompanied by a licensed driver who is seated beside you.)

Drive Test

When you are ready to take the drive test, call the BMV to make an appointment. You must hold your permit at least sixty days and should arrange for your Drive Test at least ten to fourteen days in advance of the day you hope to take the test. Again, see the driver’s manual about providing a vehicle, insurance, etc.

Remember, BMV policy subject to change without notice! Please see the Indiana BMV site for the latest updates

Buying a Car

Begin by consulting a “guide for car buyers” (one student recommends the “… for Dummies” series) available through the library, city bookstores, or online. This article from Time suggests additional resources. See the Federal Trade Commission’s website for additional helpful information on buying and owning a car.

Before making a decision to purchase, especially in the instance that you choose a used car, it is a good idea to consult with those who have some experience in examining the working condition of a car. Notre Dame’s Transportation Department can assist you in locating a service station that will perform inspections prior to purchasing a vehicle. Contact Marty Ogren at 631-6467.

Many websites are available to help you find a new or used car, such as or This article from CarsDirect offers additional suggestions. A popular website for individual classified ads is Craigslist. Classified buyers are advised to always deal locally with people you can meet in person. (Note: these websites are not affiliated with or endorsed by the University of Notre Dame.)

The most popular reference for establishing the value of a car is known as The Blue Book. Of course, the condition of the car and the accumulated mileage will ultimately determine the car’s value regardless of its make, model, and year.

When considering financing your car purchase, consult with your bank or other financial institutions to arrange for the best rate of interest and schedule of repayment on the loan. A car dealership may offer to arrange financing for you, but you should be prepared with the other quotations in order to find the best terms. (See this site Car Buying Tips for more about comparing finance arrangements).

Dealerships will offer a full warranty on new cars covering future repairs for a specific period. They will probably offer an extended warranty at additional cost.

There are Web sites where you can enter the VIN (vehicle identification number) on a car and see the history of the model, i.e. whether there have been complaints or legal actions on account of the car’s condition and performance. For an example, see Lemon Check or AutoCheck.

These services may charge a fee for full information, however, and it has been suggested that the best background check is the one performed by a mechanic just before you decide on whether to purchase!

Getting Insurance before Purchasing a Car
If you are planning to purchase a car from a dealer, you will likely be asked to present proof of insurance before you are allowed to test drive a vehicle.


Note: You must have a Social Security number and auto insurance to title and register your car in the state of Indiana. Titling your car and registering it for a state license are two separate transactions.

You must title your car immediately, and can do so at the following Bureau of Motor Vehicle locations:
4646 W Western Ave, South Bend 233-2149
2544 Miracle Lane, Mishawaka, 255-9620 (located inside the Town and Country Plaza—-this one is closest to campus).

If you bring a car here from another state, you must seek an Indiana title for it within 60 days.
If you purchase a car in Indiana, you must title it within 31 days of the purchase. Failure to do so may result in a fine, in addition to the title fee.
If you have purchased a new car, you must bring to the license bureau:

  • A properly assigned certificate of origin
  • An odometer statement (usually recorded on the certificate above)
  • Proof of Indiana State tax having been paid

For a used car:

  • A properly assigned certificate of title (the dealer or previous owner must sign over to you the original state title)
  • An odometer statement (If you have purchased a car from a private owner, the bureau will collect a five-percent sales tax on the purchase price of the car)

In addition, if you are bringing a car from another state you must have it inspected by the police. An officer will verify the VIN number, which appears on a small metal plaque near the dashboard (This is a measure which prevents stolen cars from being titled).

NOTE : At this time, only those with a Social Security number may title a car in the State of Indiana. You must also show proof of auto insurance.* For further information, visit the Indiana State BMV Website.

Registration and License Plates

In addition to gaining the title of a car, you must register it in order to get the license plates. This is a separate transaction from the title with additional taxes, fees and requirements. You must present, in addition to personal identification:

  • The certificate of title
  • Proof of auto insurance

You will be issued a license plate, which you must immediately affix to the rear end of the car.

Auto Insurance

There are several types of insurance sold in connection with an automobile. It is mandatory by state law to carry “liability” insurance, which should cover damage to vehicles and property and some of the medical costs that may result from an accident where you are cited as the primary cause of the collision.

In addition, you may enroll for:

Collision – covers the cost of repairs to your own vehicle (usually after an out-of-pocket deduction).

Comprehensive – will cover acts of vandalism, theft and damage as a result of natural causes, like a tree branch falling on the car or hail.

Some choose to purchase insurance over the internet. Be aware that if you choose this option, although you may save some money on premiums, you must process all claims through this site. Local agents, even though they may be affiliated with your company, are not obligated to assist you.

Selling your Car

There are many ways to advertise the sale of your car, including newspaper ads, online, and through flyers posted around campus.

When selling your car it is very important that you:

  • issue a dated receipt (keep a copy for yourself)
  • removing the license plates from the car (if you let someone else drive for a few days on the old plates, make sure you get them back)
  • transfer the title with a Notary Public as witness.

If you fail to retrieve the license plates from the vehicle you have sold, a buyer may continue to drive on your plates without transferring the title into his/her name. Any parking fines or other charges made against the car then remain your responsibility!

Safety Belts and Car Seats

Indiana State law requires that the driver and all front-seat occupants traveling in a car, truck or van manufactured from 1966 to present must buckle up! Children 3 to 6 years old must wear a seatbelt at all times or be situated in a car seat appropriate for the child’s age and weight. Children under the age of 3 must be seated in a “child restraint system” that meets federal safety standards.

You can purchase a car seat at most discount retail stores, such as Target, K-Mart, etc, or at Toys-R-Us on Grape Rd. For more information about the use and selection of child safety seats, consult the following:

Governor’s Highway Safety Association
Selecting a Car Seat


If you plan driving to campus each day, it is important to check with the University’s Parking Office. The office is located in the Campus Security Building, 631-5053. Always take care to park your car correctly.

Traffic Violations

If you accrue more than one citation for traffic violations on campus, you must pay all fines by year’s end or you will not be able to renew your parking permit, et cetera. If you feel that you have been cited in error, file immediately a petition with Campus Security. Forms are available on-line or at the Campus Security Building.

You should attend promptly to any citations issued by city or state authorities.

Driving while intoxicated is a particularly serious violation with grave consequences. It is recommended that you do not drive if you have a few drinks. The “designated driver” approach to getting back home is safest so that you do not cause harm to yourself or others. Agree ahead of time who will refrain from alcoholic beverages and take responsibility for driving others home. If you lack a designated driver, call a cab, take the bus, walk or sleep over.

Other Resources

Practicing Your Faith

Cross-Cultural Adjustment

University Counseling Services
US Legal System