Incidental Days - Non-Exempt Staff

Last updated 12/2018
Applies to Non-Exempt Staff

Family and Medical Leave Act

Attendance Policy


The University provides ten (10) Incidental Days for absences due to personal illness, illness of a qualifying family member, or personal business. Incidental Days are provided at the beginning of each calendar year (January 1) with no carry-over or banking of incidental days from one year to the next. Incidental Days are not paid upon separation from the University. Days are pro-rated for eligible part-time staff.

For absences of more than five (5) consecutive work days, please refer to the Short-Term Income Replacement Program (STIR).


This benefit is available to regular full and part-time non-exempt staff who work a regular schedule of twenty hours or more per week. Part-time non-exempt staff working less than 20 hours per week, temporary, and on-call employees are not eligible for paid incidental days. Incidental days become available for use after the completion of the staff member’s 90 day orientation period.


Incidental Days may be used for personal illness, illness of a qualifying family member or personal business as described below. They may be used in hourly or daily increments.

Personal Illness
Incidental Days may be used for the non-exempt staff member’s absence due to personal illness or injury or due to personal appointments with a health care provider that cannot be scheduled outside of working hours. Absences of three (3) days or longer require a physician’s statement upon return to work. The supervisor may request a physician’s statement for absences of less than three (3) days if circumstances warrant.

Family Illness
Incidental Days may be used for the illness or medical/dental appointments of a spouse, child/stepchild, or parent. For purposes of this policy, a child or step child is any child under the age of eighteen or a child eighteen or older who has a permanent or temporary health condition that requires assistance with activities of daily living.

Personal Business
Up to two (2) Incidental Days per year may be used for personal business. Incidental Days for personal business must be pre-approved by the supervisor.


Requesting Incidental Days

  • Personal Illness: Non-exempt staff should notify their department at the beginning of each workday when an illness occurs. Specific reporting procedures may be determined by the supervisor as appropriate to the department and circumstances. Illnesses extending beyond three (3) days require a physician’s statement to return to work.
  • Family Illness: As with personal illness, non-exempt staff should notify their supervisor at the beginning of each workday when a family illness occurs.
  • Personal Business: Incidental Days for personal business should be requested of the supervisor in advance. Approval of these days is based on the operational needs of the department.

Reporting Use of Incidental Days

  • Hourly paid staff – Absences for hourly paid staff are reported on the time card or electronic timekeeping system during the pay period in which it is used.

The University requires non-exempt staff to use available Incidental Days for the one calendar week waiting period for an approved Short-Term Income Replacement leave (STIR). Non-exempt staff must also use Incidental Days for their own or their qualifying family member’s illness before the leave becomes unpaid.
Please refer to the FMLA Policy if there is any possibility your absence may qualify as FMLA.

If you believe your absence may be due to a FMLA or STIR qualifying reason, you must contact York by calling their toll-free number (888) 436-9530.