Spouse Obtains Insurance

Certain qualifying events allow you to make changes in benefits that otherwise are not possible until the annual Open Enrollment period. This summary outlines the benefit plan changes you may need to make as a result of your Dependent spouse and/or child obtaining insurance. You have 31 days from the date of the qualifying event to complete the online change request and provide required documentation. If the change request is not completed within 31 days of the event, you will need to wait until the next Open Enrollment period to make changes.

Complete online benefits change request

Enrollment change requests are a two-step process:

  • Step 1. Log in to the secure site to process your benefits change request. Access MyBenefits via the My Resources tab in insideND or visit MyBenefits and login with your University NetID and password. View the Qualifying Event Guide to help you navigate MyBenefits (PDF).
  • Step 2. If enrolling dependents such as a spouse or child, you must present documentation to the Office of Human Resources to verify each dependent’s relationship within 31 days of experiencing a qualifying event. This step should be completed following successful completion of your online benefits change request. Please review the University’s dependent verification page for a list of acceptable documents.

Required documentation

  • Letter from Employer stating the Effective Date of Medical Benefits

Medical/Prescription Drug, Dental and Vision

Now is a good time to review and compare your spouse’s health benefits with those offered by the University so you can choose the coverage that’s best for you. If you are already enrolled in a University medical, dental and/or vision plan, you may remove your dependent spouse and/or child or cancel your coverage and join your spouse’s insurance by providing a letter from his/her employer stating the effective date of your new medical coverage. Before canceling, first check with your spouse’s employer to be certain they do not require that you maintain your own coverage if available. If cancelling, your coverage will remain active until the last day of the current month.

Life Insurance

If you are covered under the University’s life insurance program and your spouse obtains life insurance, you may choose to cancel your optional and/or dependent life insurance coverage(s) with the University. You may also elect to update or change your life insurance beneficiary(ies). This change may require that you complete an Evidence of Insurability form.

Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs)

You may wish to reconsider your participation in Health Care and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts by either signing up now or, if already participating, changing your contribution amount. You may wish to decrease your Health Care FSA contributions in accordance with any changes you made with your health coverage and/or begin, stop, increase, or decrease your contributions to a Dependent Care FSA.

Retirement Programs

This is a good time to review your retirement programs, investment elections, and contribution amount to make sure they reflect your financial goals. You may wish to update or change your beneficiary(ies) as well.

Additional Information


Send us your comments and questions.