Certain qualifying events allow you to make changes in benefits that otherwise are not possible until the annual Open Enrollment period. This summary outlines the benefit plan changes you may need to make as a result of your divorce. You have 31 days from the date of the qualifying event to complete the online change request and provide required documentation. If the change request is not completed within 31 days of the event, you will need to wait until the next Open Enrollment period to make changes.

Complete online benefits change request

Enrollment change requests are a two-step process:

  • Step 1. Log in to the secure site to process your benefits change request. Access MyBenefits via the My Resources tab in insideND or visit MyBenefits and login with your University NetID and password. View the Qualifying Event Guide to help you navigate MyBenefits (PDF).
  • Step 2. If enrolling dependents such as a spouse or child, you must present documentation to the Office of Human Resources to verify each dependent’s relationship within 31 days of experiencing a qualifying event. This step should be completed following successful completion of your online benefits change request. Please review the University’s dependent verification page for a list of acceptable documents.

Required documentation

  • Legal Divorce Decree – copy
  • Government Issued Birth Certificate(s) – copy (if adding dependent children)

Additional items to review

Medical/Prescription Drugs, Dental and Vision

If you were covered under your ex-spouse’s health insurance plan, you may need to enroll in a University medical, dental and/or vision plan. If the divorce decree requires you to insure your dependent child(ren), you may add the dependent(s) during your enrollment period by providing the divorce decree and a government issued birth certificate(s). Coverage will be effective as of the date of divorce.

If you are already enrolled in a University health plan, you need to remove your ex-spouse from your plan effective the last day of the month following your divorce. If stepchildren were previously covered under your plan, you may need to remove them from your coverage. If your ex-spouse and stepchildren were covered under a University health plan at the time of the divorce, they will have the right to continue medical insurance participation through COBRA for a period of up to 36 months.

If there is a name or address change as a result of your divorce, please complete a Name/Address Change Form (above).

Life Insurance

This is a good time to reevaluate your life insurance coverage to accommodate the change in your family structure. If you purchased dependent life insurance for your ex-spouse and/or step-children, you may wish to cancel this coverage. You may also need to change your optional life insurance coverage and update or change your life insurance beneficiary(ies). This change may require that you complete an Evidence of Insurability form (above).

Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs)

You may wish to reevaluate your participation in the Health Care and/or Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts by either signing up now or changing the amount of your contributions.

Retirement Programs

This is a good time to review your retirement programs, investment elections, and contribution amounts to accommodate your new situation. You may either begin, stop, increase, or decrease your contributions as well as update or change your beneficiary(ies).

Additional Resources


Send us your comments and questions.