Birth of Child(ren)

Certain qualifying events allow you to make changes in benefits that otherwise are not possible until the annual Open Enrollment period. This summary outlines the benefit plan changes you may need to make as a result of your child(ren)’s birth. You have 31 days from the date of the qualifying event to complete the online change request and provide required documentation. If the change request is not completed within 31 days of the event, you will need to wait until the next Open Enrollment period to make changes.

Complete online benefits change request

Enrollment change requests are a two-step process:

  • Step 1. Log in to the secure site to process your benefits change request. Access MyBenefits via the My Resources tab in insideND or visit MyBenefits and login with your University NetID and password. View the Qualifying Event Guide to help you navigate MyBenefits (PDF).
  • Step 2. If enrolling dependents such as a spouse or child, you must present documentation to the Office of Human Resources to verify each dependent’s relationship within 31 days of experiencing a qualifying event. This step should be completed following successful completion of your online benefits change request. Please review the University’s dependent verification page for a list of acceptable documents.

Required documentation

  • Birth Confirmation Letter from Hospital – copy OR
  • Government Issued Birth Certificate(s) – copy (if adding dependent children)

Additional items to review

Medical/Prescription Drug, Dental and Vision

If you are already enrolled in a University medical, dental and/or vision plan, you may add your child(ren) to your current plan by providing a government issued birth certificate. If you are not currently enrolled in a University medical, dental, and/or vision plan, you may elect coverage at this time for yourself and your family. Coverage will be effective as of your dependent child’s date of birth.

Life Insurance

This is a good time to reevaluate your life insurance coverage to ensure that you have proper coverage to accommodate the change in your family. You may elect to change your optional or dependent life insurance coverage(s) and/or change your life insurance beneficiary(ies) at this time. This change may require that you complete an Evidence of Insurability form.

Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs)

You may wish to reevaluate your participation in Flexible Spending Accounts by either signing up now or, if already participating, changing your contribution amount. If you are already participating, you may wish to increase your Health Care FSA contribution to pay for your child’s out-of-pocket health care expenses and/or your Dependent Care FSA contribution should your child require day care.

Retirement Programs

This is a good time to review your retirement programs, investment elections, and contribution amounts to make sure they reflect your new financial goals. You may wish to update or change your beneficiary(ies) as well.

Additional Information


Send us your comments and questions.