Adoption and Legal Guardianship

Certain qualifying events allow you to make changes in benefits that otherwise are not possible until the annual Open Enrollment period. This summary outlines the benefit plan changes you may need to make as a result of your adoption or legal guardianship obligations. You have 31 days from the date of the qualifying event to complete the online change request and provide required documentation. If the change request is not completed within 31 days of the event, you will need to wait until the next Open Enrollment period to make changes.

Complete online benefits change request

Enrollment change requests are a two-step process:

  • Step 1. Log in to the secure site to process your benefits change request. Access MyBenefits via the My Resources tab in insideND or visit MyBenefits and login with your University NetID and password. View the Qualifying Event Guide to help you navigate MyBenefits (PDF).
  • Step 2. If enrolling dependents such as a spouse or child, you must present documentation to the Office of Human Resources to verify each dependent’s relationship within 31 days of experiencing a qualifying event. This step should be completed following successful completion of your online benefits change request. Please review the University’s dependent verification page for a list of acceptable documents.

Required documentation

  • Adoption placement and petition for adoption – copy OR
  • Adoption Certificate – copy

Additional items to review

Medical/Prescription Drug, Dental and Vision

If you are already enrolled in a University medical, dental and/or vision plan, you may add your child to your current plan by providing the adoption placement and petition for adoption or the adoption certificate. If you are not currently enrolled in a University medical, dental and/or vision plan, you may elect coverage at this time for yourself and your family. Coverage will be effective as of the date of adoption or legal guardianship.

Life Insurance

This is a good time to reevaluate your life insurance to ensure that you have proper coverage to accommodate the change in your family. You may elect to change your optional or dependent life insurance coverage(s) and/or change your life insurance beneficiary(ies) at this time. This change may require that you complete an Evidence of Insurability form.

Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs)

You may want to reconsider your participation in Flexible Spending Accounts by either signing up now or changing the amount of your contribution. If you are already participating, you may want to increase your Health Care FSA contributions to pay for your child’s out-of-pocket health care expenses and/or your Dependent Care FSA contributions should your child require day care.

Retirement Programs

This is a good time to review your retirement programs, investment elections, and contribution amounts to make sure they reflect your new financial goals. You may want to update or change your beneficiary(ies) as well. This may be done by accessing the investment company’s web site.

Additional Information


Send us your comments and questions.