From left to right: Linda Costas, Tammy Freeman, Bob McQuade, Denise Murphy, and Mark Kocovski
While others were bringing the year to a close, December marked a new beginning for one campus department. The Office of Human Resources recently completed a review of its entire departmental structure and is now implementing a new organizational design.
During the six-month organizational review process, every position in the department was evaluated for necessity and efficiency by a “change team,” an internal committee charged with streamlining HR operations. While the number of staff positions remains unchanged, several positions have been realigned to provide greater support in the areas of Learning and Development, Human Resource Consulting, Recruiting, and Compensation. Change team members say that, considering the broad scope of HR’s responsibilities, the recommended changes within the fifty-plus member department were relatively minor – at least as far as reorganizations go. “What we learned is that the current model was working quite well, so we didn’t need to rebuild our whole house,” says V.P. of Human Resources Robert McQuade. “It just needed a little remodeling.”
A number of personnel changes have been made or are planned, beginning with a new team of seasoned leaders:
- Tammy Freeman, a Notre Dame HR veteran of seven years, moves into a new role as Director of HR Services. With over 30 years of experience in all aspects of Human Resources, Tammy will lead the department’s data integrity, compliance, systems and analytics activities. She will also oversee all aspects of HR customer service, including askHR, and coordinate continuous process improvement.
- Linda Costas joins the Office of Human Resources to fill the Director of Talent and Engagement position. Previously serving as the Learning and Organizational Development Program Manager for University Relations, Linda will implement an HR development strategy that integrates recruiting, performance management, training and development, and compensation.
- Mark Kocovski is formally named Director of HR Consultants, having previously served as Senior HR Consultant and acting Director of HR Consultants. Mark has worked extensively with academic and administrative units on campus, and brings more than 10 years of experience guiding and supporting managers and employees in matters of performance management and employee relations.
- Denise Murphy continues as Director of Benefits and Wellness. Denise worked in human resources in healthcare and retail organizations for 16 years prior to joining Notre Dame in 1997. She continues to develop and manage the University’s extensive benefits and wellness programs, including Notre Dame’s new Wellness Coaching program.
- In October, Office of Institutional Equity Director Jannifer Crittendon announced her acceptance of a position at Northwestern University. Jannifer served Notre Dame for 17 years and contributed greatly to enhancing the stature of the Office of Institutional Equity on campus. A talent search for a Director of Institutional Equity is underway.
The changes are being made with one primary goal in mind, says Tammy Freeman, “to provide more of what Notre Dame faculty and staff have said they wanted.” She says many of the changes are direct responses to input received from faculty and staff through ND Voice and other feedback channels. “The changes may be behind the scenes,” she says, “but ultimately the redesign will enable us to provide more services directly to our customers.”