Last Updated 07/14
Applies to Staff and Students
- Applicant Screening
- Employment of Minors
- Employment of Relatives
- Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action
- Immigration and Employment Issues
The Office of Human Resources coordinates the University summer employment process. This includes positions normally filled by Notre Dame students during the academic year, as well as temporary, seasonal positions created by additional departmental needs during the summer months.
Candidates are generally referred using the following hiring priorities for summer employment:
- Current Notre Dame students enrolled for the coming fall term and incoming first year students accepted for attendance at Notre Dame for the fall term.
- Sons and daughters of faculty, staff, and administrators who have graduated from high school and enrolled for full-time attendance at post-secondary educational institutions other than Notre Dame for the coming fall term.
- Sons and daughters of faculty, staff, and administrators who are still attending high school and who are at least 16 years of age.
- All others.
In addition to these hiring priorities, the Office of Human Resources also works with hiring departments in the placement of qualified current, regular employees whose jobs have been eliminated or who are seeking to supplement their income with summer hours. Such placements take into consideration any potential impact on departmental budgets or on the employee’s regular position, benefits, or pay.
University policy prohibits summer employees from working under the direct or indirect supervision of a relative.
Additional information is available on the Human Resources web site regarding the Summer Employment process.
Summer employment generally refers to positions that are normally filled by Notre Dame students during the academic year. Also included in this category are temporary and seasonal positions.
Summer Employment Period
The Summer Employment Program period typically begins the day after Commencement for the spring semester and ends the day before classes begin for the following fall semester.
To initiate recruitment for summer employment, complete and submit a job post through the ND.jobs Employment Site. The posting form outlines the type of position(s) available, specific skills needed, and hours/schedule required. Upon review, a Recruiting Consultant will post the position on the University of Notre Dame’s web site.
Individuals may not be employed in positions where they may be subject to the supervision or influence, directly or indirectly, of a parent, spouse, or other relative.
Summer Employment Hiring Procedures
Notre Dame Students: (including incoming first year students or current ND students):
- Student jobs are entered electronically by the department through the Student Employment Services Channel on InsideND. Request access to the channel, if needed, through Student Employment by completing the Originator and Approver Authorization Form found on the Financial Aid website.
- New hires should complete the following:
- Student Personnel Action Forms for current graduate students who will be employed in academic assignments during the summer should be sent directly to the Graduate School.
- Background checks are not required for summer employment except for employment in Summer Sports Camp Programs or for positions involving direct and regular contact with minors. Please consult with Human Resources to discuss pre-employment requirements.
- Notify Human Resources of the hiring decision by submitting a pre-employment request through NDEmploy.
- Complete a Staff Personnel Action Form (Excel) and submit to the Office of Human Resources, 200 Grace Hall.
- New hires should complete the following:
- Indiana law requires students who have not graduated from high school and are 17 years of age and younger to obtain a Work Permit. This must be obtained before they begin work. Information on Work Permits is available. Click Here
- When submitting the initial Staff Personnel Action Form, please indicate in the comment section: “Summer Employment.”
- Summer employment employees are typically paid on an hourly basis and are required to document hours worked on time cards or through the electronic timekeeping process.
- Please consult with the Payroll office for payroll deadlines.
- Timecards should be submitted directly to the Payroll Office.
- How do I contact The Hartford?
- How do I complete the new online Employment Eligibility Verification (Form I-9) Process?
- How do I schedule a confidential one-on-one consultation with a Fidelity Planning and Guidance Consultant regarding my UND 403(b) Retirement Plan?
- How do I get a copy of my (Medical / Dental / Vision) ID card?
- What are the dates for paid holiday time in 2017?