Last Updated 12/16
Applies to Staff
The University provides paid holiday time for eligible employees in observance of the following holidays:
- New Year’s Celebration (December 31 and January 1)
- Good Friday (Friday Before Easter)
- Memorial Day (last Monday in May)
- Independence Day (July 4. If July 4 falls on Saturday, the Friday before is observed as the holiday. If July 4 falls on a Sunday, the holiday is observed on the following Monday)
- Labor Day (First Monday in September)
- Thanksgiving (Fourth Thursday in November)
- Day After Thanksgiving
- Christmas Celebration (varies according to which day Christmas falls on) as follows:
|Christmas Falls On:||Christmas Celebration||New Year’s Celebration:|
|Saturday||Friday, December 24 Monday – Thursday, December 27-30||Friday, December 31|
|Sunday||Friday, December 23 Monday-Friday, December 26-30||Monday, January 2|
|Monday||Friday, December 22 Monday-Friday, December 25-29||Monday, January 1|
|Tuesday||Monday-Friday, December 24-28||Monday, December 31-Tuesday, January 1|
|Wednesday||Monday-Friday, December 23-27 Monday, December 30||Tuesday, December 31-Wednesday, January 1|
|Thursday||Wednesday-Friday, December 24-26, Monday-Wednesday, December 29-31||Thursday, January 1 – Friday, January 2|
|Friday||Thursday-Friday, December 24-25 Monday-Wednesday, December 28-30||Thursday, December 31 – Friday, January 1|
Regular full-time and part-time exempt and non-exempt staff, depending upon their work schedule throughout the year, are eligible for holiday pay as follows:
|Work 12 Months Or More||Work Less Than 12 Months (In a Calendar Year)|
|Eligible for all holidays||Eligible for all holidays falling in work period, except for those that fall during the time not scheduled to work|
If a recognized holiday falls during an employee’s paid absence (e.g., vacation or sick leave), holiday pay is provided instead of the paid time off that might otherwise have been applied. Paid time off for holidays is not counted as hours worked for the purpose of determining overtime.
Employees who are eligible must be in a paid status the last scheduled workday preceding the holiday and the first scheduled workday following it. Employees who take pre-approved vacation days before or after the holiday are paid for the holiday. Employees who take vacation days (that have not been pre-approved) before or after the holiday will not be paid for the holiday. Employees who are on a paid sick leave immediately before or after the holiday are paid for the holiday only with a medical verification from a physician. If it appears that an employee is misusing the benefit, corrective action may result.
Holiday Pay is intended as income replacement and is calculated as follows:
Employee’s base pay rate as of the date of the holiday X the number of hours the employee would have been scheduled to work on that day without limits. Examples:
- A 30-hour per week employee who is scheduled to work 6 hours on the day of the holiday will receive 6 hours of holiday pay;
- An employee who is scheduled to work 10 hours on the day of the holiday will receive 10 hours of holiday pay, etc.
- A 40-hour per week employee who works 4 ten-hour days per week will receive 10 hours, of holiday pay if the holiday falls on a day they are regularly scheduled to work.
- When a holiday falls on a day a full time regular employee is not scheduled to work, the employee has the option of taking the equivalent time off during their regular schedule with supervisory approval.
Non-exempt employees who are scheduled to work on a University-observed holiday will receive:
- Straight time pay at the employee’s regular pay rate for all hours worked; and
- Overtime payment (1 1/2 times the employee’s regular pay rate) for any actual hours worked over 40 within the work week, if applicable;
- Holiday pay as previously described herein or an alternate day off within the same work week
Some University departments offer the option of taking future time off work on a straight time basis in lieu of holiday pay. This option should be reviewed with Human Resources and approved by the employee’s immediate supervisor.
- How do I contact The Hartford?
- How do I complete the new online Employment Eligibility Verification (Form I-9) Process?
- How do I schedule a confidential one-on-one consultation with a Fidelity Planning and Guidance Consultant regarding my UND 403(b) Retirement Plan?
- How do I get a copy of my (Medical / Dental / Vision) ID card?
- What are the dates for paid holiday time in 2017?