Last Updated 01/04
Applies to Faculty and Exempt and Non-exempt Staff
The University provides long-term disability benefits to eligible, full-time and part-time faculty and staff in the event of total disability for a period of time greater than six months.
To be eligible to be a participant, the faculty or staff member is generally required to complete one year of continuous employment at the University. This condition may be waived if the individual:
- was insured under a prior employer’s group Long Term Disability insurance policy, and
- if the prior policy provided income benefits for five (5) or more years of disability, and
- if the individual was insured under the prior policy within 3 months before being eligible for the University’s plan.
- The decision to award the long-term disability benefit is made by the Plan Administrator.
The long-term disability benefit is 60% of the employee’s base salary, up to a maximum total benefit amount of $12,000 per month. This disability pay is reduced by other applicable benefits such as Social Security, pension plan benefits or workers’ compensation.
Application for Benefits
When an individual anticipates that a disability will extend beyond six (6) continuous months, they should contact The Hartford at 1-800-549-6514 or online at TheHartfordAtWork.com. Application should also be made for Social Security disability benefits or any Workers’ Compensation benefits at the same time.
- How do I contact The Hartford?
- How do I complete the new online Employment Eligibility Verification (Form I-9) Process?
- How do I schedule a confidential one-on-one consultation with a Fidelity Planning and Guidance Consultant regarding my UND 403(b) Retirement Plan?
- How do I get a copy of my (Medical / Dental / Vision) ID card?
- What are the dates for paid holiday time in 2017?