English as a New Language (ENL)
Improve your English Language skills with classes conducted by South Bend Community School Corporation instructors on Notre Dame’s campus. Attend two classes per week, two hours each class.
Tuesdays and Thursdays
October 18 – December 22
2:00 – 4:00 p.m. each day
Mason Service Ctr. Training Room
Click here for employee interest form.
A Program of the Learning at Work Skills Academy
On-campus classes are available to employees who are non-native speakers and want to increase their spoken and written fluency in English. Classes are taught by ENL-trained instructors who are teachers within the South Bend Community School System. There is no cost to the employee and all course materials are provided at no charge.
- Enhance overall English communication for job performance safety, quality, efficiency and to prepare for advancement opportunities.
- Communicate confidently with managers, supervisors, co-workers, students, and visitors.
- Develop clearer pronunciation and speaking.
- Improve basic written communication to perform job-related writing tasks.
- Read instructions, safety procedures and documents written in English.
- Expand language skills for life, family and personal satisfaction.
Instructors use a variety of learning methods to engage students:
- Class activities that require speaking, listening, reading and writing.
- Use of proven computer-based training programs such as Rosetta Stone to improve pronunciation and reading, writing, and typing skills.
- Special projects such as performances, demonstrations and presentations that are designed to improve use of English in workplace situations.
- Complete the Interest Form, including supervisor’s signature
- Submit form to: Office of Human Resources, 200 Grace Hall
Can I attend if classes are scheduled during my normal work hours?
Most departments are able to release employees to attend classes.
What if my supervisor tells me I am needed on my job during class time?
Business needs may have to come first. Efforts will be made to allow you to go to class. Be sure to notify your instructor if you are unable to attend a class due to work requirements.
Do I get paid while I’m in class?
A full-time employee will be paid for ½ of the scheduled class time attended at the “straight” pay rate. The normal work schedule may be modified to ensure that a combination of the actual work time and the class time attended/paid does not exceed 40 hours per week.
Do I have to attend every class?
You are expected to attend all classes in a semester. If you are unable to attend, you need to contact your instructor and let your supervisor know.
What if I have to stop coming to class due to personal reasons?
You need to tell the ENL instructor and your supervisor as soon as you know that you can no longer attend. The ENL instructor will inform the person who coordinates the program for Notre Dame.
What if I don’t improve enough in one semester. Can I take it more than one time?
Depending on your language needs and the department’s business needs, you may be able to attend more than one semester. The instruction helps develop basic English skills, as well as, advanced skills. The maximum number of semesters is six (two fall, two spring, and two summers). This schedule may vary depending on individual circumstances.
Click here for interest form.