Step Two: Set Goals
Page under construction – coming late Nov. 2016
Step Two: Set Goals
Now that you have determined your career areas of focus, you can begin the process of setting and reaching goals and expectations. The key to achievable career goals is using the S.M.A.R.T. method and a Career Action Plan that will help set realistic and attainable targets to keep you motivated. With the right strategy in place, your career focus can be well-defined and within your reach!
When you set goals, we encourage you to make them “S.M.A.R.T.” You may be familiar with “S.M.A.R.T.” goals from participating in Notre Dame’s performance management process. For a goal to be “S.M.A.R.T.”, it should be:
- S = Specific: Descriptive verb and specific result
- M = Measurable: Quantity, quality, yes/no
- A = Actionable: Actions within scope of job
- R = Realistic: Reasonably challenging and achievable
- T = Time-Bound: Deadline, milestones or frequency
When establishing your career goals, try to meet as many of these criteria as possible.
Examples of Goals
A few examples of career development goals are listed below; use these examples to help you identify your own S.M.A.R.T goals:
- Complete an informational interview with an administrative professional by September 17.
- Attend the Launching Me, Inc.: Establishing My Personal Brand workshop on October 15; update my personal marketing tools (resume and cover letter) by October 31; schedule a review session with a career consultant by November 15.
- Review jobs.nd.edu weekly to identify opportunities that fit my interests and abilities.
- Complete the Managing My Career series by December 1.
- Schedule a feedback session with my manager by October 15.
Career Action Plan
A Career Action Plan can help you identify your career goals and expectations more efficiently and effectively.
Exercise 2.2 – Career Action Plan
Exercise 2.2 below is an abbreviated Career Action Plan exercise from Notre Dame’s Managing My Career: Deciding and Setting Career Goals workshop.
Note: you will need to review your completed activities previously listed in this guide to work through this action plan.
Need help completing the Career Action Plan? Sign up for the Managing My Career: Deciding and Setting Career Goals workshop.
Continue: Summary and To-Do Checklist