Short Term Income Replacement - exempt staff
The University of Notre Dame recognizes the importance of income protection when a staff member falls ill and is unable to work. The Short-Term Income Replacement (STIR) benefit provides relacement income in the event of absence from work due to illness or injury.
This benefit is available to regular full-time exempt staff who work a regular schedule of twenty hours or more per week.
About the Benefit
The benefit provides 100% of the staff member’s regular pay in the event of an extended absence from work due to the staff member’s illness or injury.
- Waiting period: Income replacement under STIR requires a waiting period of one calendar week. Regular pay will continue during the waiting period.
- Qualifying absences: An absence of more than one calendar week due to an eligible, non-work-related illness or disability may qualify for income replacement under STIR. Event eligibility is determined by The Hartford upon a review of the claim and medical evidence. Absences less than one calendar week do not qualify for STIR and should be discussed with your supervisor.
- Maximum length of coverage: The maximum period of time during which income may be replaced under STIR is defined by the health care provider, but is not longer than 26 weeks.
STIR payments are paid through the University’s payroll system. Any applicable deductions and withholdings applied to the employee’s pay (such as insurance premium deductions and/or tax withholdings) are also applied to STIR payments.
Reporting a Claim with The Hartford
The University’s STIR program is administered by The Hartford. Staff must contact The Hartford if they believe they qualify for STIR. To initiate a claim, contact The Hartford:
- By phone: 1-877-877-6067 (8 am – 9 pm EST); language translation services are available
- On the web: www.TheHartfordatWork.com
- On your mobile device: Download the app for free from any mobile device by searching for “My Benefits at The Hartford” at the Apple App Store or Google Play Store.
The Hartford coordinates with Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and/or Long Term Disability (LTD) when necessary.
Reporting an Absence
Staff must notify their supervisor of any and all absences, planned or unplanned, as soon as known.
For complete information about the Short-Term Income Replacement (STIR) benefit, please consult the Short-Term Income Replacement for exempt staff policy.
• Policy – Short Term Income Replacement for Exempt Staff
• Return to Work / Work Release Form (Word)
• STIR and FMLA brochure (PDF) from The Hartford
• STIR Program Description (PDF) from The Hartford (Coming soon)
• Family and Medical Leave Act Policy
• Vacation Policy