Long-Term Disability (LTD) is administered by The Hartford and is fully funded by the University. This plan is designed to provide eligible faculty and staff (regular staff working at least 20 hours per week) with a monthly benefit if disabled and unable to perform the essential functions of their job.
LTD benefits provide a percentage of regular pay per month after a specified benefit waiting period. Benefit continuation is dependent upon the age of the employee at the time the disability occurs or the date the individual is able to return to work.
There is a one-year waiting period before enrollment into the plan, unless the employee was insured under a prior employer’s group long term disability insurance policy within three months prior to employment at the University and the prior policy provided income benefits for five or more years of disability.
- Automatic eligibility: Faculty and staff in a regular (non-temporary) position working at least 20 hours per week are automatically eligible after one year of service.
- Monthly benefit: 60% of regular pay is provided to a covered individual who becomes disabled and unable to perform the essential functions of the job up to a maximum monthly benefit of $12,000. Benefit amounts are offset by Social Security, pension plan benefits and/or other disability payments.
- Waiting period: monthly benefit payments may begin 180 days following the date of disability.
- Monthly annuity benefit: this benefit continues the 5% mandatory employee contribution and 10% University contribution to the UND 403(b) Retirement Plan for faculty and exempt staff (applies to exempt faculty and staff only).
- Survivor benefit
- Cost-of-living increase
Reporting of claims
When reporting a claim, it is preferred that the individual seek the assistance of an Office of Human Resources benefits specialist. The benefits specialist can assist by submitting the individual’s completed LTD claim documents and can also discuss other University benefit programs that may be affected.
Individuals who choose to initiate an LTD claim directly with The Hartford may do so at www.TheHartfordAtWork.com.
This information is a brief description of important plan features. The Certificates of Insurance linked to this page provide all of the terms and conditions in the group policy.
- How do I contact The Hartford?
- How do I complete the new online Employment Eligibility Verification (Form I-9) Process?
- How do I schedule a confidential one-on-one consultation with a Fidelity Planning and Guidance Consultant regarding my UND 403(b) Retirement Plan?
- How do I get a copy of my (Medical / Dental / Vision) ID card?
- What are the dates for paid holiday time in 2016?