Family and Medical Leave (FMLA) Resources
The University of Notre Dame recognizes that circumstances may arise which require an extended or intermittent absence from work due to medical reasons for self or an immediate family member. The University provides eligible faculty and staff with family and medical leave according to the federal law, The Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA).
Requesting FMLA Leave
Faculty leave requests
Faculty may request FMLA leave by calling the Office of Human Resources at 574-631-5900.
Staff leave requests
Staff may request FMLA leave by contacting the University’s FMLA leave administrator, The Hartford:
- By phone: 1-877-877-6067 (8 am – 9 pm EST); language translation services are available
- On the web: www.TheHartfordatWork.com
- On your mobile device: Download the app for free from any mobile device by searching for “My Benefits at The Hartford” at the Apple App Store or Google Play Store.
Staff members must also notify their supervisor of the need for FMLA.
The University realizes that FMLA can be challenging to understand and provides the following resources to assist faculty, supervisors and staff.
Legacy materials: the items below are related to the University’s previous FMLA administrator and are no longer current. Please see above for current information.
- Employee’s Guide to Reporting a FMLA Request:/assets/68265/nd_fml_brochure_final.pdf
- Employee FMLA Checklist":/assets/106824/employee_fmla_checklist.pdf
- Overview Presentation for Supervisors":/assets/106823/fmla_overview_supervisors.pdf
- FMLA Checklist for Supervisors":/assets/106821/supervisor_fmla_checklist.pdf
- How do I contact The Hartford?
- How do I complete the new online Employment Eligibility Verification (Form I-9) Process?
- How do I schedule a confidential one-on-one consultation with a Fidelity Planning and Guidance Consultant regarding my UND 403(b) Retirement Plan?
- How do I get a copy of my (Medical / Dental / Vision) ID card?
- What are the dates for paid holiday time in 2016?