Spouse Loses Insurance

Certain qualifying life events allow you to make changes in benefits that otherwise are not possible until the annual Open Enrollment period. This summary outlines the benefit plan changes you may need to make as a result of your spouse losing his/her insurance. Please be sure to make your changes by completing and submitting the appropriate forms to Human Resources within 31 days of the date the insurance coverage is canceled. If you do not notify Human Resources within 31 days of the event, you will need to wait until the next Open Enrollment period to make your changes.

Required Forms and Documentation

Medical/Prescription Drugs, Dental and Vision

If you are already enrolled in a University medical, dental and/or vision plan, you may want to add your spouse and/or dependents as a result of your spouse losing his/her insurance coverage. If you are not currently enrolled in a University health plan, you may elect coverage for yourself, spouse, and other dependents. In both instances, you will need to provide a letter from your spouse’s employer stating the date his/her insurance coverage was terminated.

Life Insurance

This is a good time to reevaluate your life insurance coverage and determine if you want dependent life insurance for your spouse. You may also choose to update or change your life insurance beneficiary(ies). This change may require that you complete an Evidence of Insurability form.

Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs)

You may want to reconsider your participation in Health Care and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts by signing up now or if already participating, changing your contribution amount. You may need to increase your Health Care FSA contributions to pay for your spouse and/or child(ren)’s out-of-pocket health care expenses and/or begin, stop, increase, or decrease contributions to a Dependent Care FSA.

Retirement Programs

This is a good time to review your retirement programs, investment elections, and contribution amounts to make sure they reflect your new financial goals. You may want to update or change your beneficiary(ies) as well. This may be done by accessing the investment company’s web site.

Additional Information


Send us your comments and questions.