Dependent Life Insurance
The University offers benefit-eligible employees two options of Dependent Life Insurance coverage for eligible family members who meet the dependent verification requirements. Eligible family members include a spouse and any child(ren) up to age 26. If both individuals are employed by the University and are eligible for insurance, they will be insured as employees only and either one, not both, may insure their child(ren).
The following outlines the opportunities to elect spousal or child life insurance and whether Evidence of Insurability (EOI) is needed.
Newly hired faculty or staff:
- Spousal Life – Within 31 days from your date of hire, you may elect spousal life insurance coverage at either $12,500 or $25,000 without completing an EOI form.
- Child Life – Within 31 days from your date of hire, you may elect child life insurance at either $5,000 or $10,000 without completing an EOI form.
Annual Open Enrollment period:
- Spousal Life – Faculty or staff who are newly electing dependent life insurance for a spouse or are increasing spousal coverage from $12,500 to $25,000 will need to complete an EOI form.
- Child Life – Eligible children not previously declined coverage can be added to your policy during the annual open enrollment period without providing an EOI. If previously declined, an EOI is needed.
- Spousal Life – Within 31 days of a qualifying event, you may elect initial spousal coverage of $12,500 or increase existing coverage to $25,000 without completing an EOI form, unless previously declined. If previously declined, an EOI is needed.
- Child Life – Within 31 days of a qualifying event, you may elect initial child coverage of $5,000 or increase existing coverage to $10,000 without completing an EOI form, unless previously declined. If previously declined, an EOI is needed.
Dependent Life Insurance Rates
|Options for Spouse|
|$12,500 Benefit for spouse||$ 5.64|
|$25,000 Benefit for spouse||$11.30|
|Options for Child(ren)|
|$5,000 Benefit for child(ren)||$0.76|
|$10,000 Benefit for child(ren)||$1.52|
A person cannot have duplicate life insurance under the University’s group life insurance policy. For example, an employee having group life insurance as an employee cannot also be covered as a spouse dependent if the spouse is also employed by the University. And, if both parents are employed by the University, only one parent can cover the child(ren). If duplicate coverage is discovered during an audit, one policy will be cancelled and the employee will be notified. If an individual is covered as an employee and a spouse, the coverage as a spouse will be cancelled. If an individual is covered as a dependent child of two employees, the coverage as a dependent child of the parent who worked for the shorter period of time will be cancelled. If both parents worked for the same length of time, the coverage of the parent whose birthday is later in the year will be cancelled. If discovered at the time of death, only the claims for which the employee was eligible (based on the ordering rules described above) will be paid. Premiums will not be reimbursed retroactively.
- How do I contact The Hartford?
- How do I complete the new online Employment Eligibility Verification (Form I-9) Process?
- How do I schedule a confidential one-on-one consultation with a Fidelity Planning and Guidance Consultant regarding my UND 403(b) Retirement Plan?
- How do I get a copy of my (Medical / Dental / Vision) ID card?
- What are the dates for paid holiday time in 2017?